Two-ingredient recipe for Figs in Syrup that will preserve this delicate fruit at the end of summer so you can enjoy it all during winter.
- 1 kg fresh figs
- 750 g sugar
- 500 ml water
- Wash the figs and insert a toothpick in each of them several times.
- In a saucepan, add the sugar and the water. At low heat, bring to a simmer.
- Carefully add the figs and let them simmer for 10 minutes (still at low heat).
- Turn the heat off and let them cool completely.
- At low heat, bring to a simmer again. Let them simmer for an extra 20 minutes.
- Once the figs look semi-transparent covered in syrup and the syrup is think enough (and darker colour), taka them to a sterilized jar. Pour the syrup on top and close firmly.
FIGS: Make sure to choose ripe figs, but not super firm. If they are too soft, they may lose their shape while simmering.
STORAGE: These preserved figs last months in a dark and cool place.