These Christmas Macadamia Alfajores are the perfect treat for this special time of the year. Crumbly macadamia cookies with the smoothest dulce de leche in the center and covered in the richest Belgian white chocolate. A Latin American classic with a twist!
- 70 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 100g self-rising flour, sifted
- 150 g cornstarch, sifted
- Sprinkle of salt
- 100 g macadamia nuts, chopped (or any nut you prefer)
- 25 cm2 cold water
- 350 g dulce de leche
- 150 g white chocolate, optional
- In a big bowl, add the butter and the sugar. Using a spatula, mix until well combined. Add the eggs and the vanilla essence, and mix again.
- Once well combined, add the sifted flour, cornstarch and salt, together with the chopped macadamia nuts and water. Fold until well combined.
- Place the dough between two baking papers, and using a rolling pin, roll until it’s 6 mm thick. Place in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 180 ˚C (350 ˚F) and spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray, or use a silicone sheet or baking paper.
- Using a 6cm diameter cookie cutter, cut the cookies and place them on the cookie sheet making sure to leave to room between them. They shouldn’t spread too much.
- Bake for 6.7 min, until they are slightly golden brown. Let them cool completely.
- To fill these alfajores, add the dulce de leche in a piping bag (or feel free to simply use a spoon) and pipe some dulce de leche (it’s never too much, remember!) on one cookie. Cover with another cookie and put some pressure to make them even.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time, stirring each time, until it’s completely melted. Grab the alfajores on one cookie and dip the bottom one on the white chocolate. Flip and place on a cookie sheet or large serving dish and sprinkle some festive sprinkles before the chocolate sets.
- MACADAMIAS: Replace them with your prefered nut: walnuts, almonds, pecans, pistachios…
- DECORATION: Fell free to get creative! You can add some chopped nuts, festive M&Ms or just leave the white chocolate “exposed”.
- STORAGE: Store them in an air-tight container for up to 4 weeks at room temperature, or you can easily freeze them for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 72 g
- Calories: 284 kcal
- Sugar: 21.28 g
- Fat: 13.17 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.32 g
- Protein: 4.29 g