The actual name is “Mom’s Apple Cake”. But just to make it a bit easier for you, I renamed it Apple Crumble Cake. The important thing is that it’s super easy to make and it never fails. Believe me. When I say never, I mean never ever! There is no way you can make it the “wrong” way.
Apple Crumble or Apple Cake?
If you are wondering why “crumble” and “cake” at the same time, the answer is quite simple. Because it combines perfectly both versions. It’s not the classic American recipe, nor the usual cake consistency. The apple base has a smooth texture, a bit citrusy and sweet. The top has the perfect balance between spongy and crunchy, thanks to the melted butter.
The suggested prep time is basically based on how fast we are to peel the apples :). Once we have the flour, egg and sugar mix ready, we just need to cut the apples in slices. Or in cubes,
When we already have the apples and cake “batter” in the pie plate, drizzle the melted butter with a spoon. Make sure it’s not completely covered nor “swimming” in butter. With only 80 grams, it should be enough to draw on the crumble. This way, we can get that crunchy texture in-between the spongy cake.
Last tip. If, instead of eating this Apple Crumble Cake in the afternoon with tea/coffee, we want to make it into a simple, yet elegant dessert, we can serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some walnuts. I can’t explain how yummy it is and how it takes it to another level to a dessert that both kids and grown-ups love.
Make sure to follow me on social media!
Come say Hola! on Instagram, Facebook and watch and subscribe to my videos on YouTube!
I hope you enjoyed this simple but delicious recipe with me. Please comment below if you made it, and feel free to share it with your family and friends on social media.
I’ll see you all in the next post. Happy baking!
Other dessert recipes:
Apple Crumble Cake
- 1 ½ cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 2 or 3 Green Smith apples sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 80 g butter melted
- Preheat your oven to 180 ℃.
- Cover a pie plate (23-cm diameter) with some room temperature butter and some sugar.
- In a bowl, add the flour, sugar, eggs and vanilla essence, and using a fork or spatula, mix the ingredients together until you get a granulated mix, similar to the typical “crumble”. Set aside.
- Peel and core the apples. Cut them in slices (1 cm thick approximately), and mix with the lemon juice.
- Add the apples to the pie plate and cover with the dry ingredients mix.
- With the help of a spoon, pour the melted butter over the mix.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the edges and top are golden brown.
- You can serve it warm or at room temperature. This crumble cake is not meant be served as a regular cake, and I would recommend using a large spoon.
- ALTERNATIVES: You can add cinnamon, walnuts or orange zest to the flour mix for a bit of freshness. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, delicious! Or if you dare, with some dulce de leche. No words to describe how good it is!
- STORAGE: Store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.